Who we are:
Archipelago Analytics is a fast growing start-up working to revolutionize the quality of commercial property risk data and how it can be leveraged. Archipelago was founded in 2018 by tech and finance entrepreneurial veterans with previous leadership at RMS and Apple. We are an internationally diverse and remote-first company headquartered in San Francisco with additional offices in London, New York, India, and the Netherlands.
NOTE: We’re only able to consider applicants based in the US at this time.
Who you are:
Archipelago is seeking a Controller to join our growing team. As Controller, you will be driving Archipelago’s accounting and tax strategy and giving advice to our fast-paced start-up. You will be a crucial member of the finance and legal team reporting directly to the Chief Financial & Business Officer. You will be focused on building the foundation for compliance, accounting, and for our global platform. You will work with cross-functional teams to enable the development of our strong processes, controls, budgeting and financial oversight. Successful candidates should be collaborative and enjoy thinking outside of the box as we scale a dynamic organization. Our ideal candidate is comfortable leading cross-functional teams , managing outside advisors and vendors, and making agile decisions that comply with company standards, policy and strategy.
- Lay a strong foundation for the growth of a global information platform currently serving the property and insurance markets.
- Planning, directing and coordinating all accounting operational functions
- Managing the accumulation and consolidation of all financial data necessary for an accurate accounting of consolidated business results
- Coordinating and preparing internal and external financial statements
- Coordinating activities of external auditors
- Manage outsourced functions and evaluate insourcing where appropriate
- Providing management with information vital to the decision-making process
- Collaborate with FP&A and the CFO/CBO on the budget process
- Assessing current accounting operations, offering recommendations for improvement and implementing new processes
- Designing and implementing accounting and internal control systems
- Implementing software to streamline and scale processes.
- Overseeing regulatory reporting, frequently including tax planning and compliance
- Hiring, training and retaining skilled accounting staff
- Assist our Chief Financial Officer on additional corporate matters, including financings and compliances.
- The controller candidate should have a Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience and 10+ years of progressively responsible experience for a major company, division of a large corporation or a growth stage start-up.
- Preference will be given to candidates with the Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designations.
- Experience with commercial technology transactions (SaaS, data licensing, partnerships).
- Willing to roll-up your sleeves and be nimble enough to switch from tactical legal issues and drafting to corporate strategy.
- Excellent communication skills to effectively collaborate with both internal and external business partners.
- Proven experience handling multiple dynamic priorities without missing a beat.
- Nimble mindset combined with technical knowledge.
- Experience with global business and entities in multiple international jurisdictions.
- Familiarity with Netsuite, Quickbooks, Bill.com and Expensify a plus.
- SAAS and/or insurance and/or real estate experience a plus.
We offer benefits regardless of where you are in your career. We believe that providing our employees with the means to lead healthy balanced lives results in the best possible work performance.
- Remote First Strategy
- Company Equity Program
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Education and Enrichment
- Generous paid time off upon hire – including a paid time off program plus eight paid company holidays
- Mental Health programs
- Leave of absence programs – including paid parental leave, paid short- and long-term disability, and Family and Medical Leave (FMLA)
- Off-Archipelago - ½ day off every second Friday of the month
- Remote office reimbursement
- Team Offsites
We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age (40 and over), race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, pregnancy, religion, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable state or local law.